Sunday, June 23, 2013

Patriotic Pendant Necklace

This is my first blog ever - YAY, of course - but what a journey it has been.  If you read my "Mama says" for this blog, you'll get it when I say that I may not be miserable, but I have been pretty unhappy trying to get to this point.  :)

For awhile there it seemed that crochet was a dying art, but when I started following crochet sites online I  was pleased to see that more and more young people are working in the craft. What was intimidating to me was the fact that although I've been crocheting for 50 years, I am a toddler when it comes to blogging.  To paraphrase Mama, I knew just enough to be confused and overwhelmed.  Enter my son (I knew he'd come in handy if I kept him long enough) my hero to the rescue.  He is helping me so much - wow! 

Anyway, here it is -- my first blog -- and with Independence Day coming up, I want to share the pattern for my Patriotic Pendant Necklace.

Size:  Pendant - 2 1/4 "     Chain - 24 "

Materials:  Artiste craft thread (Hobby Lobby) - 1 skein each red and blue; 2 skeins white
                   Steel crochet hook, size 8
                   6/0 Czech glass beads:  15 red, 15 white/clear, 9 blue
                   1 silver pinch bail; 1 silver toggle/clasp

To begin:    String on to red:  15 red beads
                    String on to one white skein:15 white or clear beads
                    String on to blue:  3 blue beads
                    String on to second white skein:  alternating red, white, and blue beads (6 each),
                    toggle, and clasp

Pendant:

With red, Ch 5, slst to form ring; ch 1 

Rnd  1:        9 sc in ring, join with slst in first sc, ch3, turn.
Rnd  2:        Bead double crochet (bdc) in same st, (dc, bdc) in each st around, join, FO.     [18dc]
Rnd  3:        Join white in any dc, ch 1, sc in same st; ch 3, sk bdc, (sc in next dc, ch 3, sk bdc, sc
                    in next dc) around, join in first dc, ch 3, turn.
Rnd  4:        (Dc, bch, 2 dc, ch 1, dc) in first ch 3 sp; (2dc, bch, 2 dc, ch 1, dc) in each ch 3 sp
                    around,  join, turn.
Rnd  5:        Join blue in any ch 1 sp, ch 1, sc in sp, ch 6, sk dc and bch to next ch 1 sp, (sc in ch 1
                    sp, ch 6) around, join, ch 1, turn. 
Rnd 6:         * (4 sc, 1 bch, 4 sc) in first ch 6 sp, 8 sc in next 2 ch 6 spaces*, Rep* to * around,
                    join, FO, attach pinch bail behind any blue bead.

Chain:

Step  1:        With second white skein, ch 1, attach toggle (basically a bch), ch 210, bch clasp.
Step  2:        Sl st in 60 ch, *bead sl st in next ch, sl st in next 4 ch, bead sl st in next ch* Rep * to
                    * until 9 beads are attached.
Step  3:        Sl st in next 9 ch, bead sl st in next ch, Rep * to * from Step 2 until last 9 beads are                      attached.
Step  4:        Sl st in last 60 ch, join, FO, weave in ends.  Pull chain through bail and center on the
                    10 sl sts mid-chain.  Wear proudly on the 4th!

Hope the directions are clear and easy.  Any questions or problems, please contact me.   Here are pictures: Too stinkin' cute, right?




                  
Click Photo to Enlarge

 










1 comment :

  1. Very nice. Question: what is bch? (when instructions say attach toggle-basically bch)
    Welcome to the world of blogs....look forward to hearing from you in the future!

    ReplyDelete